Falconers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

field training

+2
spughawk
mandy
6 posters

Go down

field training Empty field training

Post by mandy Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:47 am

field training Me
i am taking a pointer on a training course this weekend organized by the kennel club it is going to be held on the moors near Reeth, North Yorkshire. I am a bit worried because i no you all wont believe this but i am very shy and i am going by myself and they going to be 40 people there and i wont no anyone at all well apart from my dog. I thought it would be interesting to see what judges look for in field training for pointing breeds.I am going to take my best dog on Saturday but might take one of the others on Sunday will see how it goes i will let you no how i get on and try and take some pictures.The event was featured in several country magazines last year and i read the articles with interest so made myself apply this year as it is held so near to me.
mandy
mandy

Number of posts : 214
Registration date : 2008-01-29

Back to top Go down

field training Empty Re: field training

Post by spughawk Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:44 pm

Good for you Mandy its good to meet new people and dont be worried what they say, you will get along fine
spughawk
spughawk

Number of posts : 284

Back to top Go down

Post by hound Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:51 pm

you shy are you sure?????????????
you be alright mandy you all will have something to talk about dogs
dont forget your camrea as we want lots of pics
hound
hound

Number of posts : 251

Back to top Go down

Post by ross300bhp Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:21 am

ha ha shy now thats a good one,,,,,,take a few sips of your majic wine and they wont be albe to shut u up lol,mind you most of the chat would be about sex ha ha

ross300bhp

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2008-02-01

Back to top Go down

Post by mandy Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:00 pm

field training DSC01029
well got first day over with now very tired and so is luther
mandy
mandy

Back to top Go down

Post by mandy Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:01 pm

field training DSC01020learnt lots of things about grouse and dog training
mandy
mandy

Back to top Go down

Post by mandy Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:18 pm

field training DSC01026i will try and get some better pics up tomorrow it was very cold not good for gsp,s and very strong winds not good scenting conditions at all but the dogs worked very well and you could see the improvements by the afternoon in all the dogs.I was terrified at firstall the dogs worked from the whistle and hand signals though most were on longs strings each dog was worked seperatly and then commented on, we got 4 goes each and covered a lot of moorland which was covered in grouse .It was Lord Peels land at Grinton near Richmond north yorks.
i waited till last to go and before i started said i was really sorry but my dog didnt work to whistle. The instructor looked horrified and said oh you just a beginner then i was in the novice class but he said come on then lets see the worst so i let him go and he beautifully quartered the ground pointed waited for me and then quartered again comming back or changing direction when i shouted every one was very impressed with him and he was said to be at field trial standard so i was well pleased. Can see the benefits of the whistle though especially when its windy also i havent trained him to the drop command which is important for trialing so he has to learn that but all in all it was a very good day out with training from one of the top field trial judges in the country on one of the best grouse moors and only cost £30 money very well spent
mandy
mandy

Back to top Go down

Post by spughawk Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:28 pm

Looks like you had a good day Mandy, im glad your dog did well for you, it was woth the £30 just for view
spughawk
spughawk

Back to top Go down

Post by hound Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:14 pm

looks and sounds like you did ok mandy do you have any more plans to do moretraining sessions
hound
hound

Number of posts : 251

Back to top Go down

Post by mandy Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:18 pm

fantastic isnt it trying to decide wether to take sophies young gsp tomorrow think it would do him good
mandy
mandy

Back to top Go down

Post by spughawk Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:29 pm

Off back again tomorrow Mandy lucky girl, i bet your picking up lots of training tips, I'm glad your enjoying your self
spughawk
spughawk

Back to top Go down

Post by mandy Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:29 am

Just got back it was still very windy up, there i took luther again just in case they put me in a more advanced group, which they did. Only one on a string this time and a different instructer .He showed us how it was done first with his english pointer which went like a dream and gave me a good idea about what to aim for.
I nearly got off to a bad start with the instructor cause he judged me on appearence.I no i have done it before, when i used to take out people at the riding school you assumed straight away the people with shiny new rubber riding boots were beginners because experinced people knew leather was best and got dirty lol.I made that cardinal sin of ,shock horrors wearing a new coat and it wasnt a sealand shooting jacket it was a pink skiing one (and very warm too) i was assumed to be a chav and he asked me if there was a park anywhere near me were i let my dog off the lead, it was on the tip of my tounge to say well actually i can use 22000 acres but i didnt ,one argument in a week is enough.
Luther was good again did 4 lovely points and stayed at point each time .To do it properly he should sit when the game flushes so i have to work on that.the judges like to see the dog hunt with its head up working the scent and Luther does that well, there was 2 more gsp in our group and one did its first ever point his owner was thrilled.The trainer gave me lots of tips on retraining to the whistle which i intend to do and i think i have came away with lots of useful information for dealing with floyd our younger dog.
i would recommend a field training course to anyone with a pointing breed the only requirement was that your dog is registered with the kennel club contact them for more details oh and wear your shabby old coat covered in blood,mud and chick fluff with a broken zip and missing buttons hell you will freeze to death but you will look the part lol (and get loads of street cred )
mandy
mandy

Back to top Go down

Post by scotfalconer Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:35 am

Interesting post Mandy,thanks
scotfalconer
scotfalconer

Number of posts : 71

Back to top Go down

Post by spughawk Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:43 am

Glad you had a good day Mandy and glad you and your dog learned some thing, dont worry about the clothes Mandy we know decent country wear does not make you any better a fieldsports person
spughawk
spughawk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sophie Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:43 pm

field training 020
field training 023
field training 026
Sophie
Sophie